Thursday, May 22, 2008

Recovery

Surprisingly yesterday I was very calm most of the day. Usually I'm a nervous wreck who's about ready to have an anxiety attack at any moment. I'm not sure who gave me the courage and strength, if it was God or a guardian angel...I'm not sure but I appreciate it.

My mom met Mike and I at the surgical center around 1:45. As I checked in my heart starting to sink but as I was called back the nurse who got me ready was so nice and sympathetic I almost forgot that I would no longer be pg after this procedure. She checked all my vitals which were normal except my pulse which was almost 100 bpm, who could blame me? She did have some difficulty getting a vein to cooperate for her but after checking both hands she tried the left side. After she poked me twice she got it in and the IV became "positional" so every few minutes someone kept asking me to move my hand so the IV would drip correctly.

Meanwhile Dr. Mantione, my anesthesiologist, and my OR nurse all came to check on me and answer any questions we had. They were all super nice and explained everything to me. After I kissed Mike and my mom good bye they rolled me back in the OR and I became slightly dizzy. Everyone in the OR was commenting on my curly hair and asking if I liked it and within 1 minute of arrival the anesthesiologist asked me to dream about something good and I said "I have a donut at home waiting for me" and I was out that quick.

I woke up rather quickly at exactly 3:00, almost like something startled me. I kinda looked around but no one was there, my eyes were watery, I was cramping and had some vaginal discomfort. A nurse came over quickly and handed me tissues and told me not to scratch at my eyes. I'm assuming she checked my vitals at the time and asked if I would like something to drink. Of course I said yes and quickly asked when I would get to go home. She said shortly and returned with a heating pad and some coke. She sat me up and moved me down another hallway to which another nurse took over.

Mike and my mom came back and I was feeling very light headed and clammy, like I was going to pass out. The nurse who took over quickly lowered the upper half of the bed and got me a cool washcloth. A few minutes passed, my color returned and I felt much better. I was chatting away asking questions and I couldn't believe how talkative and almost cheerful I was, was it the drugs? LOL! I sat up very slowly this time and was given some demoral (sp) for my cramps which I rated a 2-3/5. I'm use to the 10 scale what can I say? It helped relieve the cramps down to a 1/5 before I left around 4:30.

I was overall very, very pleased with the service and care I received. I'm use to being the one who gives excellent care to my patients, so it was nice to receive it in return.

I spent all day on the couch catching up on missed TV shows. I slept 12 hours almost last night and feel decent today. I still have mild cramping and some bleeding but I expected it to be a whole lot worse. I was told to avoid stairs the next few days, use pads, no sex until the bleeding stops, to avoid baths for a week or so and return to work next 3-4 days. However, I plan to go back tomorrow but my boss knows I need to take at easy.

I'm surprised how well I feel emotionally and physically. I just hope I will continue to surprise myself this time around and not turn into a bitter b!tch. But if I do...look out! ;-)

0 comments: